Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Our Story

After 8 1/2 years of marriage and 22 months of waiting we are pregnant! When we decided it was time to start a family I had fears that it wouldn't happen. I kept thinking, “Why hasn't it happened in the first 7 years we were married, even just by accident?” One Sunday morning in August of '06 I was in church and a word was spoken about trusting in the Lord. I felt the Lord ask me, “Do you trust me to fill this desire for a baby?” I answered, yes. (This seemed like the right thing to say when the Lord asks you a question) Seeing right through that He said again, “Martha, do you trust me?” I again said, yes. The Lord took me to a verse, Hebrews 10:23 "Let us hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering for He who promised is faithful." To me this was the Lord confirming that He planned to fill this desire of my heart. I felt impressed by the Lord to go and buy a baby outfit as a reminder of a promise he would fill. That afternoon after church I went to Wal-Mart and bought a newborn sleeper. I was afraid Al would think I was nuts, (he was out of town that weekend), instead when I told him, he confirmed that he felt this was from the Lord. This baby outfit has hung somewhere in our house as a reminder of this promise ever since. Each time I look at it, I am reminded that God will fill that sleeper with His promise.

In August of '07 we finally got a positive pregnancy test. We were overjoyed with excitement. I had tested early and was shocked to see it. Unfortunately a couple days later I began to bleed and the doctor confirmed we were no longer pregnant. It was devastating, but somehow one of the best things that Al and I have walked through together. Not because it was fun or easy, but because before that pregnancy Al's desire was a baby for me, but in those few days he had become attached to the idea for himself. God used this to solidify the calling on his heart to be a father. During this hard time we were surrounded by support and prayers from friends and family and it was clear God had a plan in all of this.

Since we were at a year of trying we sought medical advice and were told there didn't seem to be any major issues keeping us getting pregnant again. Al took supplements (thanks Al for putting up with my insanity!) and I charted my temps. Before the loss not many people knew we were trying, after we had an entire team praying and believing with us for this promise. We clung to scripture and had them posted where we could see them at home. The Lord spoke to us through these verses and many more. 2 Corinthians 1:20, Proverbs 3:5-6, Hebrews 10:35-36 and Hebrews 10:23. Prayer was vital to keep faith up and doubts down. I wasn't always the best at it, but I had a support team like none other. It seemed like every time I lost faith the Lord would lead me to another verse, another person with a faith story, or I would hear something in a sermon that felt like was just for me. I received cards and emails from people encouraging me in this time of waiting. Close friends had dreams about our promised baby and encouragement was all around. This time of waiting brought me closer to the women in my life that God had called to be apart of all this. And more importantly to my husband and our Lord.

I have been in a class at church called, Home Life Practicum. I have been so blessed by the teaching in this class and the women I have met and the leadership I have come under. During one of our small group times a friend, Laura, shared a testimony of some things the Lord had been showing her through a time of fasting. She reminded us of the lesson in Genesis of how Jacob wrestled with the Angel of the Lord until the Lord blessed Him. He went away from that experience with a limp because the Lord touched him. I was really moved by what Laura was sharing and her challenge to us was, "What has the Lord promised you that you are wrestling for? Don't give up until you get what is yours". It wasn't a matter of me saying, "Lord, Give me what I want", it was, "Lord I will wrestle until I receive my blessing". I took this to the Lord and felt that He was calling me and Al to a media fast during our time together in the evenings. I hate to admit this, but I looked at this time as preparation for my heart for the ending of another cycle. Little did I know the Lord's plan was to end this time of fasting with His touch and we walked away more changed that I could have imagined. It wasn't a limp, but it will turn into a waddle! I am so excited for the name change Al and I are recieving this year along with our fulfilled promise.

Last Friday morning during my devotions I read 2 verses that jumped off the page at me, Luke 1:37, Nothing is impossible with God and Luke 1:45, Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!"
As I drove home from work for lunch that day, I began to pray that the Lord would direct my thoughts. All morning I had been so focused on my possible upcoming period, how good my temps looked and I just couldn't focus. I had emailed back and forth with Carina, Jeannie and Trish and got some of that support I was talking about. They each reminded me my focus needed to be on the Lord. That drive as I prayed I saw a picture of a rainbow. I looked up in the sky to see if there was an actual rainbow (I love rainbows and what they represent to the Lord, that He will remember his promise, Gen. 9:16). The sky was clearing after a rainstorm, but there was no rainbow in the sky. I thought, "Well maybe that wasn't from you God". I felt the Lord respond with, "The rainbow is the promise of your baby, I remember". I decided that was a good reason to do a pregnancy test! Al was asleep, (he still works nights), so I quietly went in the bathroom and did what had to be done. I looked at the test and saw a negative, but the test said to wait 2 minutes for results. I took the test with me to the kitchen and set it down on the counter. A few moments later I looked and there was a VERY faint positive. So faint I wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not. It seemed to get darker and I began to shake. Still unconvinced I woke up poor Al from a deep sleep to say, "Um, babe… I need you to look at something. I think I have a + pregnancy test, but I don't know" He had to take the test from my hand in order to see it clearly as I was shaking so badly. He saw it too! I promised to let him sleep and I would go buy another brand and try another test. After 3 tests and 3 people besides me confriming they too saw the lines I still wasn't sure. I would go from overjoyed to doubt. To take my mind off of things I decided to listen to a podcast from the previous weeks sermon. I was fretting and doubting and when I hit play, Pastor Dale literally yelled in my ear to choose a faith perspective and not a fear perspective. I knew it was up to me what I was going to allow in my heart. By the end of the day I had so much peace and I just knew it was finally my time. I tested AGAIN the next morning and I got my dark positive. I was still reluctant to share our news out of fear of what might happen. With each person we told my faith increased and I was able to share more of a testimony of what the Lord had done for us.

We are so excited and so peaceful. I can't say that I "feel" the baby, but its like I feel that presence there. I know our baby is in the Lord's hands and all that happens in the next 9 months I leave there. I have no desire to take control or take credit for any of this. Each evening Al lays hands on my belly and we pray for a perfect pregnancy and a perfect baby. With every person we tell its opportunity to share all the Lord has done for us in the last 2 years. Over this time we have cried tears of joy, frustration and grief, but in the end I know that God has seen each of those tears and He has made us stronger in Him.

I promise not all of my posts will be this long, but I thought it was important to share with those we love.

15 comments:

Rebecca Reynolds said...

I am so happy. I just keep bursting into tears randomly. I can't wait to be an auntie again! My niece is going to be the prettiest baby ever. You supply the gorgeous mommy genes and I'll supply the adorable outfits.

Martha & Al said...

neice? who says its a girl?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations.... That's awesome.

Bethany said...

I am so excited. I'm just sitting here crying. As I was reading your post, my iTunes started playing the worship song, "Amazed." What a perfect song to soundtrack the story of God's faithfullness in your family. "Lord I'm amazed by You- how you love me! You dance over me, when I am unaware." Oh how we can only imagine the things God is dancing and singing over us!

Stacey said...

Congratulations, love! I'm so excited!!

danielle.renae said...

This is so exciting!! What a faithful God we serve! I will be in contending with you in prayer about a healthy baby and a smooth pregnancy! You are going to be amazing parents!! I love you!!

Anonymous said...

that is such an amazing story, I am seriously so happy for you two!

cindy wagner said...

We are so excited! This is an awesome answer to prayer from God. The 'shape' of Life Group will be changing this year!!! And I'm so excited that I can talk about it now!!! It's hard keeping that kind of good secret!
Glenn & Cindy

Trish P. said...

Tears fill my eyes once again! I'm so ready for this and so is Aubrey. What an amazing God we serve!!!!

Melissa said...

YEAH!!! We are so happy for you guys! What an awesome story to tell you baby some day! I too had to fit back the tears! Love ya!

MKR said...

We are so happy for you two! God certainly has, and will continue, to show his faithfulness. Your story will be an encouragement for many!

John and Joan said...

One day I will tell you my story and how God changed our lives forever with our Gaby. This is so exciting to read and understand word for word what God has been truly faithful to accomplish. I was reading about His faithfulness this morning and then it seems reading your email blog was just a continuation of what He has already started for His people. Some of the scripture verses that you said you have been pouring over were ours as well especially...Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean not on your OWN understanding...which has become a life verse for John and I. So glad to be considered one of those that you love. Bethany is right...Lord we are amazed by you! Be blessed and I will keep praying for a great pregnancy! Love Joan Hall

Amy6102 said...

Martha,
I am Angela's friend, Amy. Our stories are similar in many ways. The biggest being trusting God and waiting for His time, not ours. I was thrilled when Angela texted me to tell me you were pregnant. I just wanted to say congrats. My baby is due in April, and while all babies are miracles from God, you don't realize how much until you have experienced what you & I have.

Ang said...

I'm going to be an AUNT! YEAH!!

Unknown said...

praise God!! What a beautiful begining to this journey and how exciting it will be to share each step with you and Al. God is so faithful!