Wednesday, June 8, 2011

bye, bye bottle!


Ten days ago we did it, we took away the bottle! I gave Jeremiah his usual early morning bottle when he woke up and I told him that it would be his last. He was a big boy now and Mommy & Daddy wanted him to drink his milk from a cup. I told him I had a very special cup for him to use. So... all day long I waited for him to ask for him milk like he usually did and he never did. He normally took a bottle when he woke up, before morning nap, before afternoon nap and at bedtime. Well, we went all day without it and he never asked so at bedtime we gave him his new "extra special" Lightening McQueen cup! He was excited about the exterior, but refused the milk inside of it. Over the next 6 days he drank maybe one ounce of milk. Since he normally drinks 20 ounces of milk a day, I knew this wasn't going to work so we tried other cups. We tried milk in our cups. We tried boxed milk and finally on day 7 he tried it with a straw and drank a few drinks. Al handed him the cup while he was reading with Aunt Becky (she was here visiting) and he took a few drinks, looked at her and said, "what's this? this milk?" she told him it was and he made a face and took another drink! He still isn't drinking 20 ounces, but he does drink milk with his meals now as long as it's in a cup with a straw! I thought he would be really upset over no bottle and while he does ask about once a day, he isn't crying for it or giving us a hard time. I guess the lack of milk has left a void in his diet though and he is eating like a teenage boy! I've added more fat and calcium to his diet and I'm making sure he gets lots of green vegetables as well as a multivitamin. I was most worried I would miss the morning snuggles with him as he drinks his milk, but he still lets me snuggle him even if there isn't a bottle involved.

No comments: